Positions & Papers
OCEAN2012: Subsidies public funds for public services
June 12, 2010
OCEAN2012 would like the reformed CFP to:
- stop aid which contributes to maintaining or even increasing overcapacities, in particular all aid for the modernisation of vessels;
- stop public aid for access to fish resources;
- use money towards the creation of public goods, such as research, improved control and enforcement and the cooperation between fishermen and scientists as well as greater stakeholder involvement; and
- make information on fisheries subsidies transparent and accessible.
OCEAN2012: Transforming European fisheries
August 13, 2009
A broad CFP reform now provides an opportunity to make European fisheries economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. There is a need to finally end overfishing and destructive fishing practices, delivering fair and equitable use of resources for future generations. Here we provide a number of opportunities for change for the 2012 reform of the EU Common Fisheries Policy.
OCEAN2012: Regional governance – making it work for fisheries and the environment
June 29, 2009
This paper is intended to provide you with a thought-provoking background before the Conference “Regional Fisheries Management – making it work for fisheries and the environment” which took place on September 29th 2009 in Brussels. The organisers’ purpose is to help you:
- Think about the concept of regional fisheries management, particularly in a European Community context;
- Explore potential reforms that might be useful or possible under the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP); and
- Consider the key issues and challenges that may affect the possibilities to take a more regional approach to the management of the European Community’s (EC) fisheries.
OCEAN2012: Discussion paper on the reform of the CFP
June 8, 2009
This paper responds to challenges in the previous reform, proposing a fundamentally new, principle-centred approach to fisheries management in Community waters and for the EU fleet globally. It outlines the key issues that OCEAN2012 - an alliance of organisations dedicated to transforming European Fisheries Policy to stop over-fishing, end destructive fishing practices and deliver fair and equitable use of healthy fish stocks - would like to see incorporated into a new CFP.
A report on IUU fishing of Baltic Sea cod
March 28, 2007
A report commissioned by FISH from ORCA-EU. The report is based on a review of the available literature on IUU fishing within the Baltic Sea region, informal meetings/interviews with individuals with an active interest in the Baltic Sea cod fisheries, as well as a review and analysis of the EU fisheries policy and regulatory frameworks for control and enforcement that apply within the Baltic Sea.
Implementing the European Fisheries Fund – Opportunities at Member State level
October 25, 2006
FISH hosted a workshop in Brussels together with WWF EPO and BirdLife International on 5 October 2006. The workshop aimed at identifying the possibilities to use funding from the European Fisheries Fund for sustainable development, and how to effectively engage in the process at Member State level. The background document for the workshop can be used as a guide on how to influence the EFF, or for general understanding of how the processes behind the EFF works.
IEEP FISH Conference
November 15, 2004
Under the patronage of the Dutch Presidency of the Council, IEEP and the Fisheries Secretariat organised a high level conference to discuss the environmental challenges facing the EU fisheries sector and ways to overcome these. Held on November 8-9 2004 the conference brought together over 100 experts from Europe and further afield, to discuss and identify ways of putting the EU on track to meet its international commitments.
IEEP FISH Conference conclusions
October 10, 2004
Under the patronage of the Dutch Presidency of the Council, IEEP and the Fisheries Secretariat organised a high level conference to discuss the environmental challenges facing the EU fisheries sector and ways to overcome these.