NGO’s from a wide range of Member States were represented at the workshop “Implementing the European Fisheries Fund – Opportunities at Member State level”.
There has been a lot of positive response from the workshop held in Brussels 5 October. Apart from the organisers FISH, WWF, and BirdLife International the following NGO’s participated in the workshop: Coalition Clean Baltic, Estonian Green Movement, Finnish Association for Nature Conservation, Lithuanian Green Movement, North Sea Foundation, and Polish Ecological club.
Programme and presentations
We are very grateful to the speakers who made the workshop possible. The presentations provided with a lot of interesting information, and above all served as a good basis for fruitful discussions. The following presentations were given:
Welcome and Introduction
- Tony Long, Director WWF EPO
Introducing the EFF
- Alessandro Piccioli, European Commission / DG Fish
- Christine Falter, European Commission / DG Fish
Experiences with sustainable fisheries projects
- Heather Squires, Invest in Fish
- Laura Piriz, Swedish National Board of Fisheries, Swedish Co-management Initiative
- Daniel Suddaby, Marine Stewardship Council
Implementing the EFF – how to effectively engage at Member State level
- James Brown, Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP)
Experiences from Member States and Ways forward…
- Raúl García Rodríguez, WWF Spain
- Piotr Gruszka, Polish Ecological Club
We hope that this event will lead to deeper involvement of NGO’s in the EFF implementation, as well as improved lobbying for sustainable iniatives under the EFF at Member Sate level. Unfortunately we were not able to accept late registrations. However, the presentations given at the workshop, as well as the background paper can be downloaded below.
For further information please contact Magnus Eckeskog at the Fisheries Secretariat.
Telephone: +46 (0)8 704 44 87