After the elections in all EU Member States in June, the new European Parliament opened again in July. The new Chair of the Committee on Fisheries is Philippe Morillon from France, a member of the ALDE group.
Following the June 2004 elections in all EU Member States, the “new” European Parliament opened in July. At the end of July it was also made official who will be chairing the new parliamentary committees. The new Chair of the Parliament Committee on Fisheries is Philippe Morillon from France. His party is the Union pour la démocratie francaise, which in the Parliament belongs to the ALDE group (Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe). He has been a military expert and commander, for instance of the UN forces in Bosnia.
The European Parliament Committee on Fisheries is responsible for:
- the operation and development of the Common Fisheries Policy and its management
- the conservation of fishery resources
- the common organisation of the market in fishery products
- structural policy in the fisheries and aquaculture sectors,including the financial instruments for fisheries guidance
- international fisheries agreements
Reference: Parliamentary decision P5_TA(2004)0050