Mon 20 October - Tue 21 October
The 12th meeting of the WG GES within the Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) will take place in Brussels 20-21 October.
Main topics on the agenda is the Art 12 assessment and how to improve the assessment of GES. The outcomes from the meetings that took place earlier this autumn reviewing GES decisions for each descriptor will be presented.
Mon 20 October - Tue 21 October
First Meeting of the HELCOM Group on Ecosystem-based Sustainable Fisheries (FISH 1-2014) will take place in Helsinki, Finland, 20-21 October 2014.
The HELCOM Group on Ecosystem-based Sustainable Fisheries was established eralier this year with the Terms of Reference for the group adopted at the recent meeting of the Heads of Delegation (HELCOM HOD 46-2014).
Mon 20 October
FishBase is hosting its annual FishBase Symposium focusing on fish genes at the Museum of Natural History in Stockholm, Sweden.
Genetic methods are becoming increasingly important for the study of fish and are used for everything from producing genetically modified fluorescent fish to monitor endangered species. FishBase Sweden has invited seven prominent scientists to illuminate different aspects of the fish genetics.
The symposium will take place at the main Auditorium at the Museum of Natural History, Stockholm.
Registration is due 15 September and can be submitted to email@example.com or call 08-5195 4106
The Symposium will mostly be in English.
Fri 17 October
ICCAT annaul meeting with national industry and NGOs representatives.
The meeting will take place 17th October – 09:30 -13:00 at the Conference Centre Albert Borschette, Rue Froissart 36 in Brussels.
Thu 16 October
The PECH Committee will present the draft report on landing obligation – one of the key elements resulting from the reform of the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP). Other issues that will be discussed are prohibition on driftnet fisheries and provisions for fishing in the GFCM Agreement area. For more detailed information about the agenda please see link below.
The meeting will take place from 9:00 to 12:30 in room Altiero Spinelli (ASP) 5G2.
Please note that the afternoon (15.00 – 18.30) session of the Committee meeting on 16 October is exceptionally cancelled. Point 8 will be the last item on the agenda.
Mon 13 October - Tue 14 October
On the agenda is Baltic Sea 2015 fishing possibilities, ICCAT annual meeting and annual consultation for 2015 between Eu and Norway.
The meeting will be streamed and you can follow it here: http://video.consilium.europa.eu/
Thu 09 October - Sat 11 October
EurOCEAN 2014 is an official event of the Italian EU Presidency, with the aim to provide a valuable opportunity for interaction and exchange between European marine and maritime research actors, stakeholders, policy makers and programme managers.
The conference will identify future research priorities in support of blue growth, human health and wellbeing, and sustainable management of coastal seas and oceans.
With a varied and stimulating programme running over 2½ days, EurOCEAN 2014 will include:
- Horizon-scanning presentations from leading European and international scientists;
- Focused discussion sessions on societal, policy and regional challenges including Seas and Ocean Resources, Blue Growth, Good Environmental Status and Oceans and Human Health;
- Dialogue on capacity building and research infrastructures, including a special session on the European Ocean Observing System dedicated to the memory of Kostas Nittis;
- A Mediterranean roundtable, side events and an open panel discussion moderated by Quentin Cooper, BBC Radio 4 science presenter;
- Identification of emerging challenges and opportunities in seas and oceans research and adoption of a “Rome Declaration”.
For more information about the venue, how to register and agenda please see links below.
Wed 08 October
The third and final conference in The Nordic Marine Innovation Program. The conference will summarize and reflect upon the Nordic Marine Innovation Programme and its 14 projects.
The conference will be held at Den Blå Planet, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Wed 08 October - Thu 09 October
The Finnish FishMarket is a seminar on the latest developments and innovations around the theme of fish passages.
For more information and registration please see links below.
Tue 07 October
Stockholm Environmental Law and Policy Centre (SELPC) and Baltic Ecosystem Adaptive Management (BEAM) is hosting a transdisciplinary conference with special participation by the Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management (HaV).
State-of-the-art research and management
The conference will cover state-of-the-art research and management regarding a legal framework for ecosystembased management of the Baltic Sea.
Topics and issues covered
- International, EU and national law is critical for the status of the Baltic Sea environment.
- Can ecological wisdom be transformed into legal frameworks? If so, how?
- Do the Baltic Sea Convention (with HELCOM) and the EU Maritime Strategies Directive provide adequate bases for effective ecosystem-based management?
- Do the Baltic Sea states implement ecosystem-based management approaches to that end?
- Can new legal approaches, including emission trading schemes, be applied to improve the environmental status of the Baltic Sea?
Date: 07 October 2014, 9.00 AM - 07 October 2014, 5.00 PM
Venue: Juristernas Hus ‘Lawyers House’, Frescativägen 16, Stockholm University
Please register to the conference before 23 September to: erica.grahn(at)juridicum.su.se, 08-16 21 47. Please indicate if you have any food allergies etc.